In today’s world, drivers are plagued with distractions from every direction. Sadly, distracted driving has become a serious epidemic in the U.S. On any given day, about 700 people are injured, and another eight people lose their lives in distracted driving accidents.
Each April, numerous safety organizations, including the National Safety Council (NSC) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), unite to combat distracted driving and make roads safer for everyone by recognizing Distracted Driving Awareness Month.
How Can You Eliminate Driving Distractions?
The most impactful way you can do your part during Distracted Driving Awareness Month is to learn how to eliminate distractions behind the wheel and teach others how to do so. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) defines three types of driving distractions:
- Visual. Anything that takes your eyes off of the road.
- Manual. Anything that takes your hands off of the wheel.
- Cognitive. Anything that takes your mind off of the task of driving.
With that said, here are some effective techniques that you can implement to ensure that you are always a safe driver:
- Put your phone away and on silent so you aren’t tempted to use it.
- Only use your phone for emergency purposes.
- Ensure that your children are properly secured in car seats or booster seats.
- If you’re using GPS, put the directions in before you get on the road.
- Adjust your mirrors, seat, and music prior to driving.
- Limit the number of passengers in your vehicle.
- Avoid eating while driving; if you need, pack a food item that is easy to eat with one hand and not very messy.
- Pull over if you need to make any adjustments or send a text while driving.
Injured in a Distracted Driving Accident?
At Larson Larimer Schneider, P.C., we recognize that even the most focused drivers can still be injured due to other distracted or negligent drivers. If you are ever in this situation, our Denver car accident attorneys are here to help. We will review your case for free, determine your legal options, and guide you seamlessly through the claims process.
Contact our team at (303) 622-5858 to get started today!