Denver Car Accident Lawyers
Filing a Car Accident Claim in Colorado
Have you suffered an injury because of a car accident in Denver or the nearby areas? Are you looking for a car accident attorney who can help you build a case against the driver who hit you?
At Larson Larimer Schneider, P.C., our personal injury lawyers are standing by, ready and waiting to help you fight for the compensation you deserve! Don’t accept anything less than the best settlement and, if the insurance company refuses to settle your case, trust our team to fight for you in court. We will stand by your side and make sure you’re taken care of after your accident.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Colorado roads are getting more and more dangerous all the time. So many new people are moving to the state that roads are full and traffic is more jammed up than it has ever been before. When you add to that the number of people who are texting or otherwise distracted while they drive, your chances of getting into a car accident in the Denver Metro Area are frighteningly high.
Some of the most common causes of car accidents we see in this area include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Fatigued driving
- Traffic law violations
- Aggressive driving
- Road rage
- Failure to yield
- Unfamiliarity with local highways and roads
With more than a century of combined experience, our attorneys know how to thoroughly investigate all types of car accident claims. We leave no stone unturned in our efforts to determine exactly what happened and who is liable, as well as the severity of your injuries, the extent of your damages, and all possible avenues of compensation.
The process of seeking compensation after a car accident begins when you pick up the phone. Give us a call, tell us a little bit about yourself and your accident, and we’ll take it from there. We’ll find a time for you to meet with one of our lawyers, free of charge. We can even travel to your home or visit you in the hospital if your injuries prevent you from making the trip to our office. Call us at (303) 622-5858 or send us a message.
At your consultation, you’ll get to talk about the details of your car accident, and we will make sure you have a good case. When we agree to take on your case, it’s usually at no upfront cost. We’ll work out an agreement with you where you only pay us a percentage of your final settlement if we win the case. That way, you don’t have to worry about money right now when things are already so stressful.
After your consultation, we’ll work hard to fight for you. We’ll navigate the legal system and let you know when there are things you can do to strengthen your case. Your car accident attorney will take as much of the strain and stress of the process on him or herself, so you don’t have to worry anymore!
When you need to know that someone is on your side and you need someone who will fight for you after your car accident, reach out to Larson Larimer Schneider, P.C. We are ready to do whatever it takes to get you a fair settlement that will help you get back on your feet. If the insurance company disputes your case or refuses to settle, we are prepared to aggressively advocate for you at trial.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
If you’ve been in a car accident, then you know how much of a shock to the system it can be. It’s always a good idea to know what you’ll do in case of a serious crash so you have it in your head before it happens. Believe it or not, there’s more to the process than hiring a personal injury lawyer right away!
In the immediate aftermath of the accident, it’s important to do the following (if you are able):
- Get to a Safe Place: Make sure that you and the other people in your vehicle are out of harm’s way. If you’re in the middle of the road or you don’t feel safe, try to get to the shoulder or to an area that is as far out of the main lines of traffic as possible. If you can move your car, get it out of traffic and away from further danger, too. Don’t get out of the car unless you feel like it’s safe to do so.
- Check Yourself and Others for Injuries: Check on yourself, your passengers, and, if possible, on the occupants of other cars involved in the accident. Assess whether people are in pain, if they are bleeding, if they hit their heads or are unconscious, and if they are breathing. If you know CPR and someone needs it, now is the time to use those skills. Make sure that you are not hurt yourself before you try it, though.
- File an Auto Accident Report: Call the police or arrange to file a police report. If there are injuries or a vehicle cannot move, you will all need to wait there until the authorities arrive to assess and deal with the situation. Do not forget to file a report even if you all can leave, though. This is key to getting your damages covered.
- Get Insurance Information: Get names, addresses, insurance information, and contact information from the other parties involved in the accident. This makes it easier for you and your insurance company to follow up with them later.
- Take Photos of the Damages: Get pictures of the damage to your car, both inside and out, as well as photos of any injuries you or your passengers have suffered. You may want to take photos of other cars, too, though don’t force this if the drivers are upset about it.
- Find the Right Auto Accident Lawyer for You: It’s always a good idea to contact a car accident attorney in Denver when you’ve been in a crash, even if you don’t think there’s much they can do for you. A personal injury lawyer will usually take on your case without upfront payment, so it doesn’t have to cost you. An auto accident lawyer can make the process of dealing with insurance (and even with the courts, if it comes to that!) so much easier.
Who is Liable for a Car Accident in Colorado?
To prove liability – and hopefully reduce your own as much as possible –the proper use of tangible evidence can make a big difference.
Let our attorneys know if you have any of these evidence types available:
- Reports from first responders
- Eyewitness statements
- Photographs of all vehicles and injuries
- Medical records
If there is a gap in available evidence, then we might be able to find more with a continued investigation and the assistance of various experts. For example, accident reconstructionist professionals can be hired to piece together complex or contaminated car accident scenes and uncover new useful evidence.
How Much Do Car Accident Lawyers Charge?
A car accident attorney can set their own rates for their services, which means it can be difficult to anticipate what they charge. However, our firm and others use contingency fees for our legal services, which means you don’t owe us attorney fees unless we win your case. This system allows you to pursue a claim without digging into your finances first or at all.
Our contingency fee agreements will pay us only a percentage of your total winnings gained through a settlement or verdict. For example, if your case settles for $100,000 and our contingency fee rate was 30%, then we would be paid $30,000. Using this system ensures that you can always afford our services whether we win or not – and it also encourages even further to win big for you.
The percentage offered through a contingency fee agreement will vary between cases. When a case can be quickly settled and there was not much pushback on liability, the percentage could be predictably lower than when we have to work on a complex case that requires litigation to resolve, for instance. For the most part, though, contingency fees tend to range between 25% and 40% based on case complexity and duration.
What Happens If You Get Into a Car Accident Without Insurance?
Colorado law requires you to purchase car insurance that meets the state’s minimum requirements. Currently, the minimums are $25,000/$50,000/$15,000 for bodily injury per person/bodily injury per accident/property damage, respectively. If you get into a car accident without insurance, then you could be facing criminal prosecution and the injured party might file against you directly, jeopardizing your personal finances and assets.
On the other hand, if an uninsured motorist hits you, then you can use your own uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) insurance policy to seek damages, assuming you purchased it. UM/UIM insurance is an optional add-on to auto insurance that provides damage coverage from your insurance provider. Like other policies, it has damage caps, and your insurer has the right to deny or challenge your claim if it has valid reasons for doing so.
Contact Larson Larimer Schneider, P.C. for a Free Consultation
If you’ve been in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, it’s a good idea to find a car accident attorney to represent you. In fact, under Colorado’s modified comparative negligence rule, you can even pursue compensation if you were partially at fault, as long as you were less than 50% to blame for the accident. If this is the case, however, your total recovery will be reduced by your at-fault percentage.
Having a Denver car accident lawyer on your side can make a huge difference when it comes to working with insurance companies, other lawyers, and the court system. Don’t take all of that stress on yourself! Reach out to the professional attorneys at Larson Larimer Schneider, P.C. today to share your story and get the legal help you need.