Denver Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys
Fighting for Victims of Drunk Drivers & Their Families
Have you been injured or lost a loved one because of a drunk driver? Do you feel like you have a case against a drunk or impaired driver and you need someone to help you get the settlement you deserve?
At Larson Larimer Schneider, P.C., our personal injury lawyers have over 100 years of combined experience helping DUI victims like you get the compensation they need to continue moving forward with their lives.
Impaired Driving: A Serious Problem in Denver
Impaired driving is a major problem in Denver and the surrounding area. In 2017, there were 504 drunk driving-related car accidents resulting in someone being killed or injured. And, with the relatively recent legalization of recreational marijuana, there are even more crashes due to impaired drivers.
If you were in an accident with a driver who was under the influence of cannabis, our Denver DUI injury attorneys can determine if you have a case and, if so, help you move forward through the legal process. After all, drivers impaired by cannabis are subject to the same laws as those who are impaired by alcohol!
If you or a loved one is the victim of a drunk or impaired driver, we can fight to resolve the case in your favor. We’ll work to make sure you receive the money you need to thrive as you continue with your life.
Filing a Drunk Driving Injury Claim
Beginning the process of filing your claim can feel intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be. Simply give us a call or contact us online to get the process started. We’ll set up a time for you to meet with one of our Denver drunk driving accident lawyers. This consultation is free and gives you the chance to give us all the details of your accident.
Following the consultation, we’ll decide whether or not you have a case. If you do, we’ll set up a payment structure where you only pay if we win a settlement or verdict (if your case goes to trial) for you. Then, we’ll build your case, navigate the legal system, and help you start your life over again.
When you work with Larson Larimer Schneider, P.C., you’re working with a team of experienced and professional car accident lawyers who care about you and your case. We strive to build relationships with our clients because we see them as human beings, not just another number on the docket.
What to Do After a DUI Accident
Being involved in a drunk driving accident can be confusing and frustrating, especially if you or a loved one has been badly injured. The best first step is always to get immediate medical attention.
Once you’ve received proper care, we recommend taking the following measures:
- Contact a Trusted Lawyer: Drunk driving incidents will likely catch the attention of Denver authority and media. Before you speak to any member of the press or police, consult a DUI victim attorney first. They’ll help gather and analyze facts and speak with the police and media on your behalf.
- Obtain Documentation: If you want to build a solid case, you need proper evidence. Ask the hospital you were admitted to for your medical records. If possible, get any photographs, x-rays, and other documentation they may have of your injuries. You can also ask your lawyer to get a professional photographer to take pictures of your wounds.
- Claim Your Compensation: Your lawyer will help you file an insurance claim for the injuries you sustained in the accident. If the insurance company offers an inappropriate amount or denies compensation outright, ask your attorney if you can take them to trial. While going to court isn’t always ideal, it may be essential to get the compensation you deserve.
Drunk Driving Laws in Colorado
Colorado has strict laws that punish drunk drivers, as well as bar/tavern owners in the event of a DUI accident.
Here’s what you need to know about Colorado’s DUI and drunk driving accident laws:
- Legal Limits: It’s illegal in the state of Colorado for anyone with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.8% and above to drive a vehicle. Additionally, a driver is considered impaired if they have five or more nanograms of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) per milliliter.
- Who Pays: Even if the drunk driver is at fault for the accident, their insurance company will provide compensation, either via a settlement or a verdict. A drunk driving accident claim is filed against the driver’s insurance company, not the actual drunk driver.
- The Dram Shop Law: The state’s dram shop law states that an establishment serving intoxicating substances to a customer who is already drunk may be liable if that person eventually causes injury, damage, or death. It means that if you’re one of the victims, you may also sue the bar that accommodated the orders of the person, on top of the person who caused the accident.
Compensation in Drunk Driving Cases
If a drunk driver hits you or runs you over, you may file a civil case against them to get compensation for economic damages, such as medical bills, lost wages, and auto repairs. You may also claim non-economic damages, like pain and suffering and loss of companionship, especially if your loved one perished because of the accident. Unlike economic damages, however, the amount you can collect for non-economic damages is capped at $250,000 (or $500,000 in special cases).
In some cases, it may be possible to secure punitive damages. These damages are relatively rare and are meant to punish individuals who commit egregious negligence or act with intent or malice to cause harm to others.
Put Our Attorneys on Your Side
In the aftermath of a serious drunk driving accident, you need answers. At Larson Larimer Schneider, P.C., our team is here to walk you through your options and build a case that protects your rights, including your right to a fair recovery. We have an in-depth understanding of the law and the legal system in Colorado and can represent you with the compassion and advocacy you deserve.