Your Denver Truck Accident Lawyer
Did you know that over 100,000 people are seriously injured in truck crashes each year? That is in addition to the thousands who are killed. Due to the massive size of many of these trucks, the damage they can do in an accident is above and beyond that of an ordinary vehicle. If you have been injured in an accident with a truck or you have had a loved one get killed in one of these crashes, call us at Larson Larimer Schneider. We are the Denver truck accident lawyers for you, and we would love to help you get what you need and deserve.
The trucking industry has a lot of rules and regulations, unfortunately they aren’t always followed by the truck drivers. These have to with everything from how much a truck driver must sleep and how often he or she must rest, to how often trucks must be maintained, and to how these trucks must be operated when there are other, smaller vehicles on the road. It gets complicated fast, especially if you don’t have an expert on your side.
At Larson Larimer Schneider, our truck accident attorneys in Denver have background knowledge about these laws and about how trucking companies try to get around them. This knowledge can mean the difference between you getting what you deserve after an accident and being sent home empty-handed. In fact, we have the knowledge to handle all sorts of accidents, wrongful death cases, and traumatic brain injury cases against truckers and trucking companies.
When it comes down to it, trucks are a lot harder to drive than cars. For instance, they take a much longer time to stop once they have reached high speeds. If truckers don’t maintain plenty of distance between themselves and other vehicles, they can cause a major accident even if they hit their brakes hard as soon as they see a problem. If a truck and trailer smash into you on I-70 because the driver wasn’t following the law, we will help you maximize your recovery.
Denver Truck Accident Attorneys You Can Trust
We are one of Denver’s top truck accident lawyers and law firms, and we will help you get what you need and deserve. Our goal is to help you live well even after your truck accident, and we will do whatever it takes to reach that goal. We know that our job goes above and beyond what happens in the courtroom and we are working to help you live your life to the fullest once again.
We’ve been serving Colorado citizens for years. Here’s why our clients trust us as their Denver truck accident lawyer.
- Local Expertise – We have extensive knowledge of Colorado’s truck accident law, as our attorneys have 50 years of combined experience practicing in the state.
- Aggressive Representation – If we’re confident you have a solid case, our seasoned attorneys will provide you aggressive legal representation for your settlement or trial. We’ll make sure you get adequately compensated for your injuries.
Call us for a consultation about your truck accident today! Our team of experts will help you get what you need and want in the aftermath of your tragedy.
Usual Causes of Truck Accidents
The latest data from the Department of Transportation found that there were over 450,000 reported accidents involving large trucks in 2017. About 4,237 instances were fatal, while 344,000 cases ended up with people getting injured. Here are the common causes of these unfortunate incidents.
- Brake Problems – Brake issues, whether it’s from the truck or another vehicle, resulted in 29% of large truck crashes in recent years.
- Drivers Travelling too Fast – Over 23% of truck accidents were caused by drivers who were traveling too fast relative to the weather conditions.
- Unfamiliarity with the Road – About 22% of truck crashes happened because of drivers unfamiliar with the rules and conventions of the road they’re traveling on, causing sudden collisions.
What to Do After a Truck Accident
It can be difficult to navigate the aftermath of a truck accident, especially if you or your loved one got severely hurt. The first step is always to get immediate medical attention. Once you’re treated, we recommend taking these next few steps:
- Call a Reliable Lawyer – Before speaking with Denver police, your insurance company, or even the media, consult with a professional truck accident attorney They’ll gather facts with you and provide a statement on your behalf.
- Discovery – Gather your medical records and take pictures of your injuries. This evidences will help you justify the compensation you request from your insurance company.
- Settlement – Once your lawyers determine that you have a viable case, they’ll negotiate with your insurance agency on the compensations you’ll receive. If they push for a significantly lower amount than you deserve, your attorneys can help take them to trial.
Truck Accident Laws in Colorado
Colorado has auto accident laws that help those injured get the compensation they need from their insurance company or from negligent drivers who caused the incident. Here’s what you need to know about it.
- Statute of Limitations – Colorado’s time limit in filing an auto accident claim is three years. As such, it’s best to coordinate with a lawyer to build a strong case as soon as possible.
- Insurance Requirements – Every driver in the state is required to have liability car insurance. It helps pay medical bills, property damages, and other costs of those injured.
- Compensation – Apart from economic losses like lost wages and medical bills, you may get damages for pain and suffering and loss of affection. However, Colorado operates on a modified comparative compensation rule. It means the court may reduce the damages you will receive if it finds you accountable in an accident, too. An instance could be being on your phone while crossing the street moments before you got hit. If a jury finds you 20% accountable, you may only get 80% of the damages awarded.